Update on BBBSAK's response to COVID-19
COVID-19 is an evolving global, national, and statewide issue. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska (BBBSAK), the health and safety of our Littles, Bigs, families, staff, event participants, and partners is our first priority. As participants and/or supporters of our program, we want to communicate openly with you about our procedures, plans, and general tips for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
IN EFFECT NOW:
- Group Match Activities - in-person agency activities are on hold, but we will be implementing virtual group activities. Stay tuned!
- Matchmaking - enrollment interviews, training, initial match meetings, etc. will be done via video conferencing only.
- Individual Match Activities - our previous guidance for matches limited matches to meeting outdoors and did not allow for participants to ride in a vehicle together. Effective 6.10.2020, we have released new guidelines that will lift those restrictions, with the requirement that the volunteer and parent/guardian must review the new guidelines and complete an electronic waiver.
- Matches are required to comply with all state and local ordinances, as well as the CDC recommended safety measures. Matches are encouraged to focus on building their friendship through email, phone, text, FaceTime, etc. Here are some ideas for staying connected. Contact your Match Support Specialist for additional ideas.
- Clothing and household donations - open for free home pick-ups Tuesday - Saturday. Schedule your pick-up here.
- Staff - working remotely Monday, March 16th until future notice.
The leadership team will continue to monitor the situation. Updates will be reflected on this page.
Questions and Information about the COVID-19
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services
- Providence Hospital's Coronavirus Assessment Tool
- Alaska 211: Alaska Respond Volunteers will take your calls and emails
- AlaskaLawHelp: civil legal issues related to COVID-19, housing, domestic violence, unemployment, health, worker rights, debts, scams, public benefits, and stimulus checks.
- COVID-19: Plans for Families with Children
- Food Bank of Alaska
- 211: Alaska Community Resources
- Access AK Can Do Neighbor to Neighbor assistance here
- GCI - special offers and upgrades
- Cash or Rental Assistance Options during COVID-19
- City of Fairbanks Updates
- Fairbanks North Star Borough School District
- Community Food Resources
- Parenting Hotline - Resource Center for Parents & Children
- City of Fairbanks CARES Relief Fund Information and City of Fairbanks CARES Relief Fund Application
- City of Anchorage Updates
- Anchorage School District COVID-19 Updates
- List of free meal locations and links
- Coronavirus Days of Caring
- Municipality Anchorage Rental Relief - 211
Activities to keep Littles and children engaged
- New Ways to Connect
- Virtual Field Trips
- Discovery Education
- Growing Book by Book
- Virtual National Park tours
- Math Playground
- 50+ Easy Indoor Activities for Kids
- LUNCH DOODLES with Mo Willems
- Free Live Dance Classes
- Scholastic Learn at Home
Emotional Support, Self-Care, & Health